Monday, September 14, 2015

Another few busy days in Perth

14/9/2015
Packing, sorting, working on selling my camper van, catching up with people. Rinse and repeat.

Been listening to 'Thedrunken taoist' podcast by Daniele Bolelli for quite a lot in the last week. I've ordered his books so that I have some good reading material when I return to Austria and been in email contact with him. Sensational podcast – totally blows your mind. Daniele is a university lecturer, author, mixed martial arts fighter, single father since his wife died when their little girl was 19 months and a lot more.

Brutally honest and not afraid to speak the truth as he perceives it, the Drunken Taoist podcast, despite being in the Philosophy section, is really about life at its very nature. Daniele is peeling back several layers of our filters, mostly the ones installed by our culture and religion. He kicks and punches dogmas in the face with well presented arguments. Luckily I've stumbled over his podcast after listening to one of the very early Tangentially Speaking episodes, where Chris Ryan interviews him. Shame there are not more lecturers at high schools or universities like Daniele.

After getting in touch with him by email, he sent me a small e-book he put together with quotes from his books and future works to come. Some of them, whilst unknown to me back them, sum up some of my thoughts why I wanted to get out of the corporate world:

7: "Fun" is not the antithesis of serious. It is only the antithesis of boring.
18: Rules are for people who are too stupid to live without rules.
20: Dogmatic, unchanging rules are drunken elephants in the house of crystal that is life. Rules without exceptions do more damage than good, for they don't possess the necessary delicate touch to be able to adjust the game plan to the present. By inviting us to follow the same recipe in all contexts at all times, they force us to apply a static model to a dynamic situation. Trusting an unchanging strategy to work in a reality that is always changing is plain delusional.
102: What I'm interested in is forging human beings who don't need laws to remind them how to act.
[from: Daniele Bolelli – Defiant Smiles & Middle Fingers: Quotes and Aphorisms]

A picture I found on my iPhone, and saved it before I handed it back
  

With Alex' help, we managed to stuff most of my belongings into the wooden crate for shipping it back to Austria, close it and nail it shut. I hope it stays that way. Dropped it at the depot where it will be stored until the ship will leave Fremantle port around the 18/9/2015.
The wooden crate

Before packing

Filled up to the maximum
On the reading front I've finished Dale Cargenies classic: 'How to win friends and influence people'. As I've discovered over the years in my work life, it is one thing to do things well yourself, but in the end to make big things happen, you need to be a really good leader to get your tribe/coworkers to follow you and give their very best in order to be really, truly successful.

Written in the 1930s, Dale is, from my perspective, the godfather of a lot of today's leadership literature. Reading the book, you can partially feel a distinct difference in our culture from more than 70 years ago, but to me it is astounding how much was know already back then by the upper class and higher management, who spent time on such training. But where did they go and why did the paradigm shift that much from back then until now?
I could identify a lot of the concepts brought up in this book in newer literature that I read over the last years. Hence, reading this book and thinking his arguments through, could save you a lot of time.

I've started with BenjaminFranklin's 'Autobiography'. So far, a very interesting read, originally published in 1793. Very old English though! Can be downloaded for free from Project Gutenberg.

It was fantastic to catch up with so many people over the last several days. Delightful conversations, walks, meals, drinks and lots of laughter. Truly great way to finish a chapter in life. Hope I'll see those people again, either in Australia, Austria or anywhere else on this planet.

The dinner at Harry's place was an absolute highlight on Saturday evening. I've seen his kids grow up over the last 5 years and it is amazing how well they have developed. Harry's family has always made me feel very welcome and I have many great memories from time spent with them. The 'Austrian' block in the Perth office is getting smaller and smaller, now there is only Harry and Willie left.

Djuanda organized a farewell bike ride (my second one, I already had one before I went on my trip around Australia) and we were lucky weather wise – the rain stopped the night before and the wind dropped as well. It was a cold morning, but after a few kilometers I felt okay. As this was the first time back on a bike since I broke my foot my body was badly out of shape for riding, compared to last year. Luckily we did a 'social' ride, and Alex, Djuanda and Rodriguez didn't punish me too much. It is odd how sections that look almost flat when you are fit, are really hilly when you are struggling. The bike paths in Perth and around the river are amazing, and the scenery beautiful, to say the least. Even riding along the freeway, with the river to your left when you head towards the CBD, felt amazing to me again, despite my protesting thighs.
Guess it is time to take up some endurance and resistance training again, once I'm settled in Austria.

Only one more night in Australia, before my move back. It starts to dawn on me how big a change in lifestyle this will mean. But it feels like the right time to make this change.

No comments:

Post a Comment