Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Another day of good byes

After enjoying a tasty and healthy breakfast at Stef's, I got two amazing books as farewell presents for my journey: the latest Lonely Planet for Australia, and a book called 'Wanderlust'. A word that describes the strong desire for or impulse to wander or travel and explore the world.
There is a fantastic quote from Mae West on the books cover: “You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” That totally resonates with me, heading into a 5 months adventure! :-)
I'm sure there will be more about this book on this blog, as it is a travel journal, full of fun writing prompts, quirky questions and wild to-do's to capture all the thoughts, feelings and sensations that the traveller experiences on the journey.

While walking over the causeway bridges a last time, I was lucky enough to spot a dolphin in the river, swimming towards Freo. It had probably finished it's breakfast in the river and heading back out. To me the wildlife all around the city in Perth has always kept me in awe – dolphins, pelicans, galahs, cockatoos, gulls, wagtails, cormorants, and many other species of birds – so much nature around, if you just keep your eyes open you wouldn't think you're in a capital city. Cycling, walking and running around the Swan river has always been a pleasure for the country boy from Austria.

I finally caught up with the overall project manager of the consultant of my last project. I remember a flight back home from site, after a long, hard, frustrating day, several meetings and beatings on site, I sat next to a middle-aged man on the charter plane and had one of the best conversations that I had in a long time that picked up my mood again. Only at the end of the conversation I discovered that it was the PM of the consultant, responsible for delivering a multi billion dollar project where we were just a tiny, but very important, fraction of it. He's been in the construction and mining industry for a long time and I got some great advise and strategies how to deal with frustration and cope with stress when I spoke to him from time to time. I find it very helpful to draw on the experience and knowledge of people with expertise, reflect on it and try some stuff to see if it works for me. Would be great having more such people around us in the company.

Being my last full day in Perth, I rushed through my to-do list, buying some last minute items like a headlamp, some supplies for the road (ie toilet paper!), handing back the keys to the unit, cancelling insurances and power supply accounts.
Finally, with nothing else left to do, I sold my Holden Berlina V8 6.0 – my subconscious made me hang on to it as long as I could. It was an incredibly powerful, awesome sounding car. Not by far anywhere near a refined car like most European high powered cars, but quite an experience to drive. Powerful from the lower revs due to the massive displacement and the 8 cylinders, and just getting more and more crazy the higher you'd rev it up. Quite easy to leave some rubber on the road if you're not careful what your right foot does – freeing the more than 360 horses of their restraint.

The last evening was very enjoyable, sitting at the beach, indulging in a picnic and some grape products with a very special person. She has, a few years ago, been the spark that I needed to re-evaluate my life which kicked me on the way to a radical self improvement phase. I'm forever grateful that this happened, even if I would have liked to get into a relationship with her but it wasn't the right timing for her.
After the sunset, Lu prepared some amazing buckwheat crepes susette. We talked and talked and talked a little more and I was at total peace.

I can't believe that I'm finally starting tomorrow – I'm so excited!

Fasten your seat belts friends, and watch this place ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment