Monday, March 16, 2015

Adelaide - Awesome city for bike rides

13/3/2015
After breakfast, I went for a nice, easy bike ride along the Torrens river to the beaches. The paths towards the beach are well maintained and the scenery is beautiful for most of the ride. Adelaide is a lovely city, some people that I spoke to in the caravan park suggest that it is the most beautiful of all capital cities in Australia. While I can't judge that as I haven't been to many of them, I agree that it is a very nice place to be. Once I hit the beach, I rode in northerly direction and found a nice coffee shop in Henley. Third cappuccino in a row in Adelaide that was nice – there are definitely benefits to being in a proper city again! All up it was about 42km and I had a nice tail wind on the way back (head wind on the way to the beach though).
Jetty in Henley


Great ride - was the absolutely right decision to go for the Roubaix

Could not resist to punish my body with a choc muffin, the sugar rush propelled me home in record time
As I was going to store the bike in the van again, I gave it the best clean that it ever got – and it looks even better now than before. I begin to understand my grandfathers obsession with cleaning his bikes! Nothing better than a shiny chain and bike!
Shiny!
Shiny carbon fiber - thanks to whomever invented it!
 I finished Sir Richard Branson's book, 'The Virgin Way' today and would like to quote a section from the last chapter of the book in order to not forget it:

'You're guaranteed to miss every shot you don't take.' So take hat shot! Don't brood over one idea or another for two or three years as many people do – give it a go! Don't get lulled into the morass of perpetual paralysis by analysis: if your instinct is positive then go with it. You will learn so many more lessons by just doing than you ever will by mulling it over and over. [...] Trust the process, trust your instincts and trust your team. Don't start second-guessing yourself or worrying about a few mistakes along the way – you will only learn from them. Just be sure that you don't make the same mistakes over and over - then you should worry!

Very true isn't it? But is that what we regularly do when working in our day to day jobs? I hardly think so. Do we learn from our mistakes? I leave that one un-commented.

In the afterword, Sir Richard gives a quick summary over his top ten take away items fromthe book:
  1. Follow your dreams and just do it
  2. Make a positive difference and do some good
  3. Believe in your ideas and be the best
  4. Have Fun and look after your team
  5. Don't give up
  6. Listen, take lots of notes and keep setting new challenges
  7. Delegate and spend more time with your family
  8. Turn off that laptop and iPhone and get your derriere out there
  9. Communicate, collaborate and communicate some more
  10. Do what you love and have a couch in the kitchen

While some of them sound funny, he details what stands behind these subject lines in the book. A teaser for all the readers of my blog, and reminder for me again for later.

As previously pointed out, this book is not only very inspirational but hits the nail on its head very often. I recommend it to everybody that is working, doesn't matter in which capacity; as a leader, entrepreneur or employee. Working in large organisations could be so much better, in my humble opinion, if we would embrace some of what Sir Richard is pointing out in this and his other books. A must read!

In the afternoon I went for a lengthy walk, mainly through North Adelaide and ended up in The Lion again, for a glass of 2014 Crab Tree Clare Valley Riesling (nice!) and a free WiFi connection ;-)
Yesterday's cap - they know there stuff over here and don't overheat the milk! :-)

Funny sign I saw - don't know what South Australian's usually do when they depart that justifies such a sign. But I've seen it again at another place today!
Distance traveled: 0km

No comments:

Post a Comment