Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Adelaide Hills and Hahndorf

17/3/2015
I started with a 6.5km run in the morning, followed by a big awesome cooked breakfast and a visit to the information center for coffee and Internet.

There was quite a bit on the program for the day in the Adelaide Hills:

Melba Chocolates
Old, traditional (for Australia) chocolate, licorice and sweets factory. Some of the equipment looks very much like at home. Very much for Australian taste buds – they were sold out on 80% dark chocolate, so I bought some coffee bean in dark chocolate which were the only product that I found that suited my palate.

Ueber Geschmack laesst sich streiten - are they obsessed with cow poo over here?


Slightly bigger than dad's

Licorice - not my cup of tea

Kind of a no-brainer




Cocolat
Awesome, little chocolate and cake shop/cafe. Nice products, lovely packaging and good coffee!
Cocolat


... as long as it is dark and of highest quality



That was a winning combination - Cappuccino and Pistachio Pear Chocolate cake


Nice winery in the Hills, had a good chat with the guy doing the tasting and got a lot of information about the Hills and where to go in Langhorne Creek – the wine region that I'm visiting next.






High end setup, sit down style of tasting, only tried two wines but they were great!
Wine and Art - a winning combination

New tasting center, only opened 2010



Udder Delights – Cheese maker
Great cheeses, bought some of their Organic and bio dynamic cheeses. Lovely!
The yellow cow - Udder Delights

Part of their cheese offering

Wide variety of wines, sourced from several wine regions here but with the beautiful cellar door and tasting room in Hahndorf. Was very interesting to compare the same varieties coming from different wine regions. Great discussion with the lady that did the tasting as I was the only person in again. They have at least three different ranges: Rockbare, Mojo and Barossa Babe.

Some other photos taken during the walk through Hahndorf:
Hofbrauhaus


 

Geoff Hardy, established three winerys: Pertaringa (McLaren Vale, 1980), K1 by Geoff Hardy (Adelaide Hills, 1987) and Hand Crafted by Geoff Hardy (Adelaide Hills, 2005).
In 2012 and 2014, Winestate Magazine named Wines by Geoff Hardy as its Australian Winery of the Year.
Handcrafted are wines made from hand-selected, premium fruits from the family's vineyards in South Australia. Absolutely wonderful stuff – mainly European varieties that work quite well due to the colder climate here in the Hills and the elevation.
I had the pleasure to do the tasting with Seb Hardy, Sales Manager, who also worked in the European wine industry for some vintages (France, Italy and Austria!). Highly recommended to visit their cellar door – the small tasting fee is negligible for the delights you're offered.
Awesome setting for a tasting!


I tried the Fiano (my favourite white), Gruener Veltliner, Nero d'Avola, Tempranillio, Graciano (my favourite red at Handcrafted!), Montepulciano, Teroldego and Lagrein



Well, I just had to have some traditional German dinner in this 1839 established hotel. Sometimes you can't help it – I'll let the pictures speak for me.
German Arms Hotel - Established in 1839

Schnitzel with Cheese, German potato salad, Bavarian mustard, Sauerkraut and a glass of Jim Barry's Watervale Riesling

A Black Forest Cheesecake - not what I expected, but rich, creamy and nice nonetheless


Being in prime wine country, I still stick to wines ;-)



I'm staying at the Hahndorf Resort. When I stumbled back after the extensive tasting in the afternoon, I found that their logo looks like a cross between an eagle and a wine leaf, see for yourself:
Hahndorf Resort


Distance traveled: 83km

No comments:

Post a Comment