Sunday, March 1, 2015

Ceduna part 2 and Streaky Bay

I pushed hard during my late afternoon run, 8.5km along the coast line. It was still 34 degrees but overcast when I left at 18:30 and heated up to 36 degrees when I got back to camp at 19:20. I still need to get used to the time difference when the sun rises and sets over here!
Material handling... material handling... I can't completely switch off!

iPhone photo, half way through the run
Dinner was nice, a massive salad with everything and a bit more, some Italian sausage accompanied by two glasses of New Zealand Sauvignon Blancs. Next to me were a table of middle aged women, nicely progressed on the process of getting drunk (and have gone down that path already quite a fair bit!). I find people that get noisy when they get drunk are kind of annoying – even more so after a few days of absolute quietness through the Nullarbor.

The facilities in this camp site were amazing and the free WiFi let me get quite a lot of stuff done. It took until the morning hours to cool down, so I slept with the two back doors open to get a bit more airflow. Still quite hot!

28/02/2015
Traveled down the Flinders highway along the west coast of the Eyre peninsula. Nice places that I visited were Smoky Bay and a tiny place called Haslam.
Smoky Bay has a nice jetty. It was very windy which led to some good practicing photos of some local bird life. Still no eagles though ;-)

Almost slipped - safety first mate!




Arriving early in StreakyBay, my designated stop for the night, allowed me to hang out for coffee in a local bakery (they still exist!), check out some bays, practicing playing the guitar far away from anybody else, stock up on groceries and check in at the caravan park at a reasonably early time. These small, rather touristy (especially fishermen!) villages are lovely. Every village has a jetty, most people are either fishing or crabbing – I'm usually the only amateur photographer – and life has a rather slow pace here. I read somewhere that if you're not able to catch a lot of fish here in Southern Australia, then you won't be successful anywhere else in the world. Maybe I'll crack that joke when I'm on a jetty and in the right mood for a sprint ;-)

It has cooled down quite a bit to around 30 degrees in the late afternoon. The forecast is, except for tomorrow, not very promising though. Lets hope for the best.

I'm very relaxed but I start to feel that I need something to occupy my mind. Only listening to many episodes of my regular podcasts (check out The Art of Charm and Bulletproof Radio in iTunes) and (happily) singing along with Rainhard Fendrich, STS, Austria 3 and Muse are not enough any more. Hence I read a bit of the Marketing for one of my courses and then went for an all out 4km run along the bay. I like these short but intense runs, but they are very different in intensity from what I was used to over the last few years.

Had two sizable Scotch filet steaks and a mixed salad with cheese for dinner – chatting with some  campers that were one a (wine) high. Entertaining! Seems to be quite normal for middle-aged Aussie-campers, including their wives to 'take the edge off' with some recreational drinking. Cheers!

Distance traveled: 141km

No comments:

Post a Comment